Seminars presented by Healy and Obrotka explain the importance of implant maintenance
Ann-Marie C. Depalma, RDH, MEd, FADIA, FAADH
With implant surgical and restorative markets forecasted to reach $12.32 billion by 2021, dental professionals will encounter patients who are either candidates for implants or have implants currently. Do you know what to expect with a patient with implants and how to decide whether the area is healthy or exhibits peri-implant disease? With the increased incidence of peri-implant diseases, implant maintenance is an important aspect of total implant care and long-term success.
Maintenance protocols vary but Shavonne Healy, RDH, BSDH, and Melissa Obrotka, RDH, BBAOM, have developed a company, RDH Innovations, that provide strategies for safe, effective implant maintenance care and information. Their programs include:
- “Dental Implants Uncovered: Prevention, Detection and Intervention”
- “Are You Prepared to Treat the Terminator? Caring for Patients with Advanced Implant Supported Prosthesis”
- “A Dental Hygienist in Oral Surgery? Introducing the Implant Care Practitioner.”
The “Dental Implants Uncovered” program reviews:
– The etiology and factors associated with peri-implant diseases
– Froum and Rosen’s peri-implantitis classification system
– Implant surface characteristics and prosthetic design
– Decontamination protocols and combination therapies for the management of peri-implant diseases.